Sunday, July 28, 2013

Womble Reunion 2013–Morse, TX

Where else?  This is home.  It is where we all seem to think of as home anyway.  Those of us over age fifty for the most part.  The younger generation is moving on and forgetting our roots. But that is just the way of life I know.  Anyway, it was a fun reunion despite a small attendance. 

Morse is a tiny little town in the middle of farming and ranching land in the northern part of the Texas Panhandle.  And I just love it up there.  So many times I wish I could move there but we are not farmers or ranchers.  We would be lost!  Oh, I would love to have a section of land up there but it would just be CRP land – untouched. 

Looking to one end of town…07-28-13 Womble reunion 18and the other.07-28-13 Womble reunion 20

I didn’t go looking around town this time but his old building was right across the street from the community center.07-28-13 Womble reunion 17Lots of old buildings here.07-28-13 Womble reunion 21

And lots of wonderful family!07-28-13 Womble reunion 0107-28-13 Womble reunion 02Lots of visiting!07-28-13 Womble reunion 03And picture taking.  Betty, heads up!07-28-13 Womble reunion 0407-28-13 Womble reunion 05More talking.07-28-13 Womble reunion 0607-28-13 Womble reunion 0707-28-13 Womble reunion 0907-28-13 Womble reunion 1007-28-13 Womble reunion 1107-28-13 Womble reunion 1207-28-13 Womble reunion 1307-28-13 Womble reunion 1407-28-13 Womble reunion 15And where the real work goes on – the kitchen.  07-28-13 Womble reunion 16

It was wonderful.  I hope it will be as good next year.  My sisters and I are heading up the reunion next year!  See you then.

Thanks for visiting!

2 Click here to comment!:

Kathy Weiser-Alexander said...

Love this Becky!!

Anonymous said...

I am an intruder, not a Womble. But, happily, I discovered the Womble reunion, 2013, when I Googled “Morse, Texas”, as I have several times in recent years. I lived in Morse eight decades ago. I am Robert (Bob) Fairey, 85, a retired lawyer in Houston.

I was 5 or 6 months old when my parents moved with me from Amarillo to Morse in 1928 (probably early ’29, actually). For some reason, I was talking, watching and listening a lot when I was one year old. I grew to be aware of people and things in Morse—I guess it was my real home town. We lived in Morse until I was 6 in 1934, when drought, dust storms and the depression hurt many wheat farmers and killed my dad’s wheat elevator business. He moved us to Borger where he found work in the oil fields.

I really liked Morse, in large part because of my parents’ best friends there, Henry and Meryl WOMBLE Reid, who operated a general store—“Womble Hardware Co.” if I correctly recall the John Deere sign. We visited with the Reids regularly. (There were no children my age in Morse at the time, except my brother who was only 3 when we left Morse.) I believe Meryl’s brother in Morse was Roy Womble (whom I knew), and they had Womble relatives in Spearman. I would like to hear from folks in or near Morse. My email is fairey281@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Womble Reunion 2013–Morse, TX

Where else?  This is home.  It is where we all seem to think of as home anyway.  Those of us over age fifty for the most part.  The younger generation is moving on and forgetting our roots. But that is just the way of life I know.  Anyway, it was a fun reunion despite a small attendance. 

Morse is a tiny little town in the middle of farming and ranching land in the northern part of the Texas Panhandle.  And I just love it up there.  So many times I wish I could move there but we are not farmers or ranchers.  We would be lost!  Oh, I would love to have a section of land up there but it would just be CRP land – untouched. 

Looking to one end of town…07-28-13 Womble reunion 18and the other.07-28-13 Womble reunion 20

I didn’t go looking around town this time but his old building was right across the street from the community center.07-28-13 Womble reunion 17Lots of old buildings here.07-28-13 Womble reunion 21

And lots of wonderful family!07-28-13 Womble reunion 0107-28-13 Womble reunion 02Lots of visiting!07-28-13 Womble reunion 03And picture taking.  Betty, heads up!07-28-13 Womble reunion 0407-28-13 Womble reunion 05More talking.07-28-13 Womble reunion 0607-28-13 Womble reunion 0707-28-13 Womble reunion 0907-28-13 Womble reunion 1007-28-13 Womble reunion 1107-28-13 Womble reunion 1207-28-13 Womble reunion 1307-28-13 Womble reunion 1407-28-13 Womble reunion 15And where the real work goes on – the kitchen.  07-28-13 Womble reunion 16

It was wonderful.  I hope it will be as good next year.  My sisters and I are heading up the reunion next year!  See you then.

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Kathy Weiser-Alexander said...

Love this Becky!!

Anonymous said...

I am an intruder, not a Womble. But, happily, I discovered the Womble reunion, 2013, when I Googled “Morse, Texas”, as I have several times in recent years. I lived in Morse eight decades ago. I am Robert (Bob) Fairey, 85, a retired lawyer in Houston.

I was 5 or 6 months old when my parents moved with me from Amarillo to Morse in 1928 (probably early ’29, actually). For some reason, I was talking, watching and listening a lot when I was one year old. I grew to be aware of people and things in Morse—I guess it was my real home town. We lived in Morse until I was 6 in 1934, when drought, dust storms and the depression hurt many wheat farmers and killed my dad’s wheat elevator business. He moved us to Borger where he found work in the oil fields.

I really liked Morse, in large part because of my parents’ best friends there, Henry and Meryl WOMBLE Reid, who operated a general store—“Womble Hardware Co.” if I correctly recall the John Deere sign. We visited with the Reids regularly. (There were no children my age in Morse at the time, except my brother who was only 3 when we left Morse.) I believe Meryl’s brother in Morse was Roy Womble (whom I knew), and they had Womble relatives in Spearman. I would like to hear from folks in or near Morse. My email is fairey281@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!