Sunday, July 1, 2012

Western Kingbirds and Purple (Red) Finch

I was swearing up and down this was a meadowlark.  Kept seeing the yellow underbelly.  Then I took a closer look.  Nope, hmmmm?  What is that?  Took some pictures and then did a little research.  It’s a Western Kingbird!  Wow!  And let me tell you, they do not like us to be under their nest.  I thought Mockingbirds were quite the dive bombers but these give them a run for their money.  Pretty little bird.

07-01-12 western kingbird 01The nest!07-01-12 western kingbird 0307-01-12 western kingbird 04Thank you for posing so nicely!07-01-12 western kingbird 06

We have a family of what I have discovered is called a purple finch.  Truly the parent is red, not really purple.  I wish I could capture a picture of that bird.  So pretty.  Here are the babies.  They have commandeered a nest left by barn swallows on our front porch.  Yes, you have to walk through the poop daily to get to the front door.  They are just about ready to leave the nest.

Four little heads.07-01-12 wrens 107-01-12 wrens 3They are losing that yellow beak so we know they will be flying soon.  Love this time of year.

0 Click here to comment!:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Western Kingbirds and Purple (Red) Finch

I was swearing up and down this was a meadowlark.  Kept seeing the yellow underbelly.  Then I took a closer look.  Nope, hmmmm?  What is that?  Took some pictures and then did a little research.  It’s a Western Kingbird!  Wow!  And let me tell you, they do not like us to be under their nest.  I thought Mockingbirds were quite the dive bombers but these give them a run for their money.  Pretty little bird.

07-01-12 western kingbird 01The nest!07-01-12 western kingbird 0307-01-12 western kingbird 04Thank you for posing so nicely!07-01-12 western kingbird 06

We have a family of what I have discovered is called a purple finch.  Truly the parent is red, not really purple.  I wish I could capture a picture of that bird.  So pretty.  Here are the babies.  They have commandeered a nest left by barn swallows on our front porch.  Yes, you have to walk through the poop daily to get to the front door.  They are just about ready to leave the nest.

Four little heads.07-01-12 wrens 107-01-12 wrens 3They are losing that yellow beak so we know they will be flying soon.  Love this time of year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!