Monday, October 4, 2010

Strange and very large

I was opening windows this evening to get just a bit more breeze through the house.  On the screen on the north living room window I saw a large insect.  From inside I was not sure what it was.  I thought at first “TARANTULA!” but not on the screen.  Surely.  Then I grabbed the camera a went out to capture a VERY BIG MOTH!

   10-04-10 Large moth 03   Ross’s hand to show how big he was.10-04-10 Large moth 06 10-04-10 Large moth 07  He was kind of pretty, with those bright pink areas, in a kind of creepy way.  I found out he is a Pink Spotted Hawk Moth.10-04-10 Large moth 10I also found out I do not want him – or her – around next year as a worm.  This is a type of hornworm.  Yep, they devour gardens.  Not the ones that I find on tomatoes from time to time but sweet potatoes.  Now, I do not have sweet potatoes but wonder what else they might eat.  Squash or pumpkins?  Hmmmm.10-04-10 Large moth 09 Interesting huh?

Next post:  Zachary playing football!

1 Click here to comment!:

(Jen) scrapmommytn said...

It is pretty but I dont think I would want him either!

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Strange and very large

I was opening windows this evening to get just a bit more breeze through the house.  On the screen on the north living room window I saw a large insect.  From inside I was not sure what it was.  I thought at first “TARANTULA!” but not on the screen.  Surely.  Then I grabbed the camera a went out to capture a VERY BIG MOTH!

   10-04-10 Large moth 03   Ross’s hand to show how big he was.10-04-10 Large moth 06 10-04-10 Large moth 07  He was kind of pretty, with those bright pink areas, in a kind of creepy way.  I found out he is a Pink Spotted Hawk Moth.10-04-10 Large moth 10I also found out I do not want him – or her – around next year as a worm.  This is a type of hornworm.  Yep, they devour gardens.  Not the ones that I find on tomatoes from time to time but sweet potatoes.  Now, I do not have sweet potatoes but wonder what else they might eat.  Squash or pumpkins?  Hmmmm.10-04-10 Large moth 09 Interesting huh?

Next post:  Zachary playing football!

1 comments:

(Jen) scrapmommytn said...

It is pretty but I dont think I would want him either!

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!