Thursday, August 12, 2010

Our little visitor

We were out in the garden – the very sad looking garden – picking green beans and black eyes.  I was not having much luck with the green beans so headed to the house.  Zachary started screaming “Nana, come look!  Nana, come here and see what this is!”.  So I went back out there, thinking bug, snake, who knows what.  This is what we found.

A very tiny tiny tiny baby rabbit.  (Pardon the blurry pictures.  I was afraid to get too close as I did not want to touch him with anything that smelled human!)

He is only about three inches long. And smack in the middle of two rows of green beans! I am just surprised I missed him while I was in that row. Or how a bird has not pecked him. Here is the nest.  My theory is that Mama jumped up when we startled her and dragged the little tyke out of the nest.08-12-10 baby rabbit 4 So we took a branch off the tree and rolled him – over and over – to the mouth of the nest.  When he got to the nest he clawed his way in.  We watched the straw and grass bulge and move.  I hope he is settled and not too much worse from his adventure. 

Yes, I have left the rabbits alone in the garden.  I think there are not too many – maybe two I have seen.  I have enough to share.

4 Click here to comment!:

(Jen) scrapmommytn said...

Awww! How sweet Becky! I have never seen a baby rabbit like that, you know, that young.

Melanie said...

Would have never known that was a baby rabbit! Thanks for sharing the story and pics!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Ah so cute! We once had a momma rabbit make her nest of babies in the middle of our backyard. After getting worried about the little bunnies, we learned that mom typically only feeds her babies twice a day...once in the morning and once in the evening and in a very short while they are old enough to leave the nest. Apparently her milk is very very rich.

Jennwhite said...

wow he must have been brand new! Great pics, hope he made it!

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our little visitor

We were out in the garden – the very sad looking garden – picking green beans and black eyes.  I was not having much luck with the green beans so headed to the house.  Zachary started screaming “Nana, come look!  Nana, come here and see what this is!”.  So I went back out there, thinking bug, snake, who knows what.  This is what we found.

A very tiny tiny tiny baby rabbit.  (Pardon the blurry pictures.  I was afraid to get too close as I did not want to touch him with anything that smelled human!)

He is only about three inches long. And smack in the middle of two rows of green beans! I am just surprised I missed him while I was in that row. Or how a bird has not pecked him. Here is the nest.  My theory is that Mama jumped up when we startled her and dragged the little tyke out of the nest.08-12-10 baby rabbit 4 So we took a branch off the tree and rolled him – over and over – to the mouth of the nest.  When he got to the nest he clawed his way in.  We watched the straw and grass bulge and move.  I hope he is settled and not too much worse from his adventure. 

Yes, I have left the rabbits alone in the garden.  I think there are not too many – maybe two I have seen.  I have enough to share.

4 comments:

(Jen) scrapmommytn said...

Awww! How sweet Becky! I have never seen a baby rabbit like that, you know, that young.

Melanie said...

Would have never known that was a baby rabbit! Thanks for sharing the story and pics!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Ah so cute! We once had a momma rabbit make her nest of babies in the middle of our backyard. After getting worried about the little bunnies, we learned that mom typically only feeds her babies twice a day...once in the morning and once in the evening and in a very short while they are old enough to leave the nest. Apparently her milk is very very rich.

Jennwhite said...

wow he must have been brand new! Great pics, hope he made it!

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!