Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just got home from a ski trip to Angel Fire

First though, we stopped in Cimmaron Canyon to take a few photos.  The creek was pretty frozen but the snow was sparse.

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 01

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 04

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 05

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 02

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 06

Have to admit, the snow was not good so the skiing was not great.  But it was skiable with manmade snow and good grooming.  The good thing too is we all had a great time!  We skied two days and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. 

This was Zane’s second year to go skiing and he is really getting much better.  Zachary is just good.  He needs another lesson or two to correct some form but that kid is just a natural.  I think Zane will be with a lesson or two also but he is young.  The first day the only problem we had was Zane HATED his boots.  That kid does not like shoes anyway but for you who do not know it, ski boots are very very uncomfortable.  Just the way it is.  Plus Zane would not wear his mittens.  He does not like mittens.  And when he would fall his hands would get cold and he would get MAD and be ready to quit.  He was also tired from the day before. 

These pictures are a bit blurry the first day.  I did not take my big camera but opted for my small one.  Forgot that Zane had had it in the truck taking pictures and so – fingerprints on the lens.  Sigh. 

01-16-10 Angel Fire 0201-16-10 Angel Fire 0301-16-10 Angel Fire 0801-16-10 Angel Fire 0701-16-10 Angel Fire 0601-16-10 Angel Fire 10

And boy did I mess up.  We were standing in line to get food and heard those behind us talking about a New York trip.  No biggy, just talking.  We got on in to the restaurant, ordered food, got part of it and I stayed to wait for the burger and bratwurst that was cooking while the others went to hold a table.  Next to me was a very tall, very good looking man.  We moved up a bit to wait for our food, kind of chatted about waiting.  The man who took our money said to him “Very glad to meet you, Jason!  Thank you so much for coming here!” 

OK, I thought, who is this guy that this other guy was thrilled to meet him?  I very surreptitiously looked over at his credit card receipt.  J. Taylor.  Hmmm.  Name sounds familiar.  And he was very good looking!  Did I say that already?  Anyway, got our food, went to the table and asked Ross and Mike if they knew who he was.  No, sounds familiar.  I knew he was "somebody”.  That evening I looked him up in the internet and came out of my chair!  Oh my gosh!  Jason Taylor.  Football player for the Miami Dolphins.  Dancing with the Stars.  I even watched him there and interview I think on “Regis and Kelly”.  Very soft spoken, very polite (even in person!).  Good grief!  No one bothered them – he was with friends.  Gosh, wonder who they were!  Nope, no picture.  And I did look for him the next day.  Missed opportunity!  But it is still a bit thrilling!

The second day was a different story.  I had a small pair of regular gloves we put on Zane plus he got a good night of sleeping.  That kid skied and skied.  When he fell, he laughed.  He had a blast.  Zachary was even better the second day, too.  He and Mike went to ski by themselves in the morning then Kathleen, Zane and I skied in the afternoon. 

And we saw a coyote on the slopes!  That was so cool.  Just walking across Heading Home, not even concerned about all the people around him.  Kathleen got great video of him.  I will share that when we get it uploaded.

01-17-10 Coyote on ski run 2 small01-17-10 Coyote on ski run 1 small01-17-10 Coyote on ski run 3

These are a bit better.  I did grab Kathleen’s camera and got a few good shots.  I will try to upload video later. 

Gray jay.  He was a friendly little fellow.

 01-17-10 gray jay Skiing Angel Fire 7

01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 1 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 2 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 3 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 4 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 601-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 8 

Outside of Angel Fire, heading for home.

01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 01 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 05 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 07 

Night skiing. I think this would be fun but with conditions not many were doing it.  Still, had to take a couple of photos.

01-16-10 night on the mountain 3 01-16-10 night on the mountain 2

Between Taos and Santa Fe.  Just love the views.

01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 09 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 11 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 1401-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 15 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 17

I think the exercising I have been doing – going to the gym – have really helped with my skiing!  My legs did not get tired and did not hurt.  I was amazed.  Definitely keeping that up.  This summer maybe I can do some hiking.  My ankle still gives me fits and always will.  I need to remember to take some mole skin to cushion that inside ankle.  It is just a little skin and then bone and needs a bit of that cushion.

Just some other photos.  The condo we stayed at was called Russos Condo in the Racquet Club Condos and it was great.  Two bedrooms, two full baths.  Master bedroom had a queen bed and a set of bunks, perfect for kids.  If you need a place to stay, check their website.  Oh, and we did have WiFi, but a bit sporadically.  I think mainly because it is new for them and has some bugs to work out.

01-17-10 Family at condo 03 01-17-10 Family at condo 04 01-17-10 Family at condo 05 01-17-10 Family at condo 06 01-17-10 Family at condo 08 01-17-10 Family at condo 09

2 Click here to comment!:

Jennwhite said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation, you are so fortunate to have all your family together. The boys are getting so grown up, won't be long that they won't want to ski with the old people! Thanks for sharing all the pictures!

makeyesup said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip. It sounds like it was wonderful and the photos are great.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just got home from a ski trip to Angel Fire

First though, we stopped in Cimmaron Canyon to take a few photos.  The creek was pretty frozen but the snow was sparse.

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 01

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 04

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 05

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 02

01-15-10 Cimmaron Pass 06

Have to admit, the snow was not good so the skiing was not great.  But it was skiable with manmade snow and good grooming.  The good thing too is we all had a great time!  We skied two days and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. 

This was Zane’s second year to go skiing and he is really getting much better.  Zachary is just good.  He needs another lesson or two to correct some form but that kid is just a natural.  I think Zane will be with a lesson or two also but he is young.  The first day the only problem we had was Zane HATED his boots.  That kid does not like shoes anyway but for you who do not know it, ski boots are very very uncomfortable.  Just the way it is.  Plus Zane would not wear his mittens.  He does not like mittens.  And when he would fall his hands would get cold and he would get MAD and be ready to quit.  He was also tired from the day before. 

These pictures are a bit blurry the first day.  I did not take my big camera but opted for my small one.  Forgot that Zane had had it in the truck taking pictures and so – fingerprints on the lens.  Sigh. 

01-16-10 Angel Fire 0201-16-10 Angel Fire 0301-16-10 Angel Fire 0801-16-10 Angel Fire 0701-16-10 Angel Fire 0601-16-10 Angel Fire 10

And boy did I mess up.  We were standing in line to get food and heard those behind us talking about a New York trip.  No biggy, just talking.  We got on in to the restaurant, ordered food, got part of it and I stayed to wait for the burger and bratwurst that was cooking while the others went to hold a table.  Next to me was a very tall, very good looking man.  We moved up a bit to wait for our food, kind of chatted about waiting.  The man who took our money said to him “Very glad to meet you, Jason!  Thank you so much for coming here!” 

OK, I thought, who is this guy that this other guy was thrilled to meet him?  I very surreptitiously looked over at his credit card receipt.  J. Taylor.  Hmmm.  Name sounds familiar.  And he was very good looking!  Did I say that already?  Anyway, got our food, went to the table and asked Ross and Mike if they knew who he was.  No, sounds familiar.  I knew he was "somebody”.  That evening I looked him up in the internet and came out of my chair!  Oh my gosh!  Jason Taylor.  Football player for the Miami Dolphins.  Dancing with the Stars.  I even watched him there and interview I think on “Regis and Kelly”.  Very soft spoken, very polite (even in person!).  Good grief!  No one bothered them – he was with friends.  Gosh, wonder who they were!  Nope, no picture.  And I did look for him the next day.  Missed opportunity!  But it is still a bit thrilling!

The second day was a different story.  I had a small pair of regular gloves we put on Zane plus he got a good night of sleeping.  That kid skied and skied.  When he fell, he laughed.  He had a blast.  Zachary was even better the second day, too.  He and Mike went to ski by themselves in the morning then Kathleen, Zane and I skied in the afternoon. 

And we saw a coyote on the slopes!  That was so cool.  Just walking across Heading Home, not even concerned about all the people around him.  Kathleen got great video of him.  I will share that when we get it uploaded.

01-17-10 Coyote on ski run 2 small01-17-10 Coyote on ski run 1 small01-17-10 Coyote on ski run 3

These are a bit better.  I did grab Kathleen’s camera and got a few good shots.  I will try to upload video later. 

Gray jay.  He was a friendly little fellow.

 01-17-10 gray jay Skiing Angel Fire 7

01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 1 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 2 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 3 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 4 01-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 601-17-10 Skiing Angel Fire 8 

Outside of Angel Fire, heading for home.

01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 01 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 05 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 07 

Night skiing. I think this would be fun but with conditions not many were doing it.  Still, had to take a couple of photos.

01-16-10 night on the mountain 3 01-16-10 night on the mountain 2

Between Taos and Santa Fe.  Just love the views.

01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 09 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 11 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 1401-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 15 01-18-10 from Angel Fire to home 17

I think the exercising I have been doing – going to the gym – have really helped with my skiing!  My legs did not get tired and did not hurt.  I was amazed.  Definitely keeping that up.  This summer maybe I can do some hiking.  My ankle still gives me fits and always will.  I need to remember to take some mole skin to cushion that inside ankle.  It is just a little skin and then bone and needs a bit of that cushion.

Just some other photos.  The condo we stayed at was called Russos Condo in the Racquet Club Condos and it was great.  Two bedrooms, two full baths.  Master bedroom had a queen bed and a set of bunks, perfect for kids.  If you need a place to stay, check their website.  Oh, and we did have WiFi, but a bit sporadically.  I think mainly because it is new for them and has some bugs to work out.

01-17-10 Family at condo 03 01-17-10 Family at condo 04 01-17-10 Family at condo 05 01-17-10 Family at condo 06 01-17-10 Family at condo 08 01-17-10 Family at condo 09

2 comments:

Jennwhite said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation, you are so fortunate to have all your family together. The boys are getting so grown up, won't be long that they won't want to ski with the old people! Thanks for sharing all the pictures!

makeyesup said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip. It sounds like it was wonderful and the photos are great.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!