Monday, October 26, 2009

A very sad week

Dad fixed2This has been a very long sad week.  My Dad, Jack Frost Hood, passed away quietly and peacefully about midnight last Monday morning.  He was 81 years and nearly 8 months.  Daddy was born in Burkburnett, Texas to Frank M. Hood and Lena E. Yeary.  He loved golf and trout fishing.  He was a great coach for the Kids Inc. football teams.  Those boys called him “Coach Hood” even until his death. 

Yes, his name was Jack Frost.  That was such a joke all of his life.  He was named after uncles, Charles “Jack” Hood and Frost Yeary.  Frost was my Great grandmother’s, Ada Maude Yeary, maiden name. Wonder if Grandmama even thought of that when she named him?  The one thing my grandmother always said about Dad was that his shoulders at birth were WIDE and he weighed ten pounds!! 

We had a wonderful funeral on Wednesday.  It was the most uplifting and fun ceremony.  My younger sister, Cynthia, had written down some the the things Daddy had told her about his children in a his last days.  She is a great writer and it was just so moving!  Molly, my youngest sister, and I were very moved by it.  As was the rest of the family I think.

He is at peace now and dancing in Heaven with my Mother.

Thanks for listening.

3 Click here to comment!:

Screwed Up Texan said...

My prayers and condolences go out to you and your family.

Jennwhite said...

And I bet he and your mom are so thrilled to be together at last, and so proud of the send -off you gave him! Thanks for sharing a photo, he looks like a great guy!

makeyesup said...

My condolances to you on the passing of your Father. Yes, he is at peace and surely dancing with your Mom

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

A very sad week

Dad fixed2This has been a very long sad week.  My Dad, Jack Frost Hood, passed away quietly and peacefully about midnight last Monday morning.  He was 81 years and nearly 8 months.  Daddy was born in Burkburnett, Texas to Frank M. Hood and Lena E. Yeary.  He loved golf and trout fishing.  He was a great coach for the Kids Inc. football teams.  Those boys called him “Coach Hood” even until his death. 

Yes, his name was Jack Frost.  That was such a joke all of his life.  He was named after uncles, Charles “Jack” Hood and Frost Yeary.  Frost was my Great grandmother’s, Ada Maude Yeary, maiden name. Wonder if Grandmama even thought of that when she named him?  The one thing my grandmother always said about Dad was that his shoulders at birth were WIDE and he weighed ten pounds!! 

We had a wonderful funeral on Wednesday.  It was the most uplifting and fun ceremony.  My younger sister, Cynthia, had written down some the the things Daddy had told her about his children in a his last days.  She is a great writer and it was just so moving!  Molly, my youngest sister, and I were very moved by it.  As was the rest of the family I think.

He is at peace now and dancing in Heaven with my Mother.

Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

My prayers and condolences go out to you and your family.

Jennwhite said...

And I bet he and your mom are so thrilled to be together at last, and so proud of the send -off you gave him! Thanks for sharing a photo, he looks like a great guy!

makeyesup said...

My condolances to you on the passing of your Father. Yes, he is at peace and surely dancing with your Mom

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!