Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This week with our Dad

Daddy is very very ill and not expected to last through the weekend.  Of course, that is God’s final decision.  However, after last week in the hospital AGAIN with pneumonia, his body is doing a fast shut down. He has had pneumonia three times in the last three months.  The last two times have been very unkind to his mind.  He knows who we are but not where he is or why he where he is.  Boy, does that make sense?  OK, you get the picture.  So after this last bout it was thought he may not be able to go to dialysis.  DSCN1566

He went to dialysis Monday and came home really confused and out of it.  Dad called me, or rather I called him, and he told me to come get him.  Apparently he had gone to the funeral home and could not get out.  Told me he had had a couple of drinks and now just could not find his way out.  I talked to Daddy for 30 minutes and just could not shake him from this story.  I finally had to hope that the meds would help him to relax.

Tuesday he was really pretty much out of it.  I watched him and decided to call his kidney doctor and ask his opinion on continuing dialysis.  He said that really it was doing more harm than good at this point.  Daddy just was not tolerating it.  My sisters and I along with the doctor’s advice decided to stop dialysis treatment.

Dad has also developed extreme peripheral artery disease. His legs and feet hurt all the time.  His heart is failing. Poor Dad.  He is miserable.

Hospice has been called in and they are taking care of him – and us.  He is now taking morphine to control his pain.  Of course, he seems to be sleeping a lot but that is to be expected at this stage in his health.  They are saying it is not really the morphine as it is in very small amounts.  It is the dying process.

Bless his heart.  We are praying for a peaceful end and a new beginning in God’s hands.

Thank you all for all of your wonderful prayers and thoughts at this time.

5 Click here to comment!:

Screwed Up Texan said...

I went through this with my grandfather a couple years ago...it was hard and multiple times we thought he wouldn't make it through the night. All we could do was keep him as comfortable as we could with lemon flavored water mouth sponges and morphine.

I think the last day he was alive was the hardest, because he was in so much pain. The nurse raised his dose and that seemed to help. He did not want to go and was very upset about having to leave us.

Finally, he did leave us. I am happy he finally let go so as not to be in pain. It was hard watching him go.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Prayers for you and your family.

makeyesup said...

Prayers are with all of you and that your Dad finds eternal peace quickly and painlessly. Know how tough it is to watch someone you love suffer. God is merciful and I'm sure he will not linger in pain.

Zippizip said...

As you know I went thru this with my Dad this past Oct when he passed. While it was tough at the time, in retrospect it deepened my faith and brought a sense of relief and contentment to really KNOW, deep in my heart, that he was with God.

Jenn, the kids and I will be praying.

Stan at Scrappers Workshop

Jennwhite said...

{{{hugs}}} you are in our hearts. I am glad you have hospice support, that makes me feel better about not being there to help. May you feel God's love as you help your father on his journey home.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

This week with our Dad

Daddy is very very ill and not expected to last through the weekend.  Of course, that is God’s final decision.  However, after last week in the hospital AGAIN with pneumonia, his body is doing a fast shut down. He has had pneumonia three times in the last three months.  The last two times have been very unkind to his mind.  He knows who we are but not where he is or why he where he is.  Boy, does that make sense?  OK, you get the picture.  So after this last bout it was thought he may not be able to go to dialysis.  DSCN1566

He went to dialysis Monday and came home really confused and out of it.  Dad called me, or rather I called him, and he told me to come get him.  Apparently he had gone to the funeral home and could not get out.  Told me he had had a couple of drinks and now just could not find his way out.  I talked to Daddy for 30 minutes and just could not shake him from this story.  I finally had to hope that the meds would help him to relax.

Tuesday he was really pretty much out of it.  I watched him and decided to call his kidney doctor and ask his opinion on continuing dialysis.  He said that really it was doing more harm than good at this point.  Daddy just was not tolerating it.  My sisters and I along with the doctor’s advice decided to stop dialysis treatment.

Dad has also developed extreme peripheral artery disease. His legs and feet hurt all the time.  His heart is failing. Poor Dad.  He is miserable.

Hospice has been called in and they are taking care of him – and us.  He is now taking morphine to control his pain.  Of course, he seems to be sleeping a lot but that is to be expected at this stage in his health.  They are saying it is not really the morphine as it is in very small amounts.  It is the dying process.

Bless his heart.  We are praying for a peaceful end and a new beginning in God’s hands.

Thank you all for all of your wonderful prayers and thoughts at this time.

5 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

I went through this with my grandfather a couple years ago...it was hard and multiple times we thought he wouldn't make it through the night. All we could do was keep him as comfortable as we could with lemon flavored water mouth sponges and morphine.

I think the last day he was alive was the hardest, because he was in so much pain. The nurse raised his dose and that seemed to help. He did not want to go and was very upset about having to leave us.

Finally, he did leave us. I am happy he finally let go so as not to be in pain. It was hard watching him go.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Prayers for you and your family.

makeyesup said...

Prayers are with all of you and that your Dad finds eternal peace quickly and painlessly. Know how tough it is to watch someone you love suffer. God is merciful and I'm sure he will not linger in pain.

Zippizip said...

As you know I went thru this with my Dad this past Oct when he passed. While it was tough at the time, in retrospect it deepened my faith and brought a sense of relief and contentment to really KNOW, deep in my heart, that he was with God.

Jenn, the kids and I will be praying.

Stan at Scrappers Workshop

Jennwhite said...

{{{hugs}}} you are in our hearts. I am glad you have hospice support, that makes me feel better about not being there to help. May you feel God's love as you help your father on his journey home.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! They are so much fun to read!